Thursday, September 8, 2011

Two of My Airports Are Closed

On my 'Airports I Want to Fly Into' list on the left, two of them are close.

Cornelia Fort is where I took my first flying lesson when I was 14. I wanted to make M88 my first long cross country once I was licensed.

Seven Spring is also closed. When I was flying at Chagrin Falls (closed), that was our $25 hamburger location. Yes, $25 hamburger, not $100 hamburger. It was that long ago.

Sad that locations like these are devastated due to flood and the economy.

In my mind, both places had significance so they can not even be replaced with other airports. I guess you have to fly to get it, huh?

Monday, August 29, 2011

WOW!! Lookie Here!

Got another piece of mail on Saturday and WTF??

My kidney physician and I notified that FAA that I swapped from Clonidine to their approved blood pressure medication. I was told by several of those in the know that I'd have to take the new medication and advise the FAA after 30 days of the current BP levels.

We notified them 1 week after taking the new med that I had been swapped and then would send them the current levels after 30 days.

Well, ... I opened my mail on Saturday, about 7 days before sending the new numbers and WTF?? There was my medical. WOW

Gotta love the FAA. So far, knock on wood, I have had very few problems with them.

So, I am cleared to fly. On the other side, this all comes 45-60 days earlier than planned and I have yet to get into my new insurance business and still lacking commissions, thus, no flying money. Oh well, time to make some insurance calls, huh?

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Still Waiting Medical Review from the FAA

Talked to the FAA last Friday and according to them, my medical is under review, still, up for decision shortly. Every year I have to send info from my liver and kidney transplant doctors to get permission to take my annual medical exam. They had my file since May 25th and today is July 23rd. So, remember, the FAA is backed up with files for review. If you need it, do it 3 months ahead of schedule.

August is around the corner and soon, fall flying will be here.

I hope that this new job with the insurance company will allow me to have a lot of flying dough and a chance to finish this goal.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Delays and Frustrations

This is really making me uneasy.

1) I am waiting for my authorization from the FAA to take my medical exam. Every year I have to send letters from my physicians to Oklahoma for them to review and then give me 'permission' to take my exam. This year was delayed due to my newly diagnosed Ulcerated Colitis and my liver transplant physician could not complete his report. I know it is just an issue of time, but I hate the wait.

2) Job. In January I left my part-time to go to a mortgage company and that company was a farce. I lost 3 months of income and could not save for flying. I was also given a chance to move to an insurance company for a great opportunity. I studied and passed the insurance test with flying colors. Now, I find that the agency was grossly overselling the position and all of the income that they were making was not true and that they are scrapping the program. Out of pocket money could have been used for other things, including, setting money aside for flying.

I know that this is all for a reason. Just tell me what that reason is.

Another great day. I need to get flying soon!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Alive and Well (an update)

Okay, I have not blogged for a long time. I know that. I have a lot of catching up to do so I might as well get started.

Things have been quite crazy for a long time, and many things are still unsettled, but I am working on them as quickly as I can.

My last posting on October 21 was entitled "Family First" which basically make reference to the fact that my senior parents were both ill and needed my attention. Unfortunately, my stepfather died the day before Thanksgiving, and the sad thing is that he wanted to be my first passenger when I got my private pilot's license. A month prior to his death, my mother had a botched medical procedure which rendered her fully disabled. During this whole process I was unable to do my series of cross countries which would have left me with only a little hood time and night flying to reach my requirements before my private pilot check ride.

Since then I have been keeping as current as possible with flight simulator, and hitting the books as much as possible. Okay, that was not being completely honest. I read here and there just to keep my mind somewhat sharp. Unfortunately, I had to take my written exam again since my last written exam expired at the end of January, 2011. Two of my instructors told me that they would sign me off if I would pass online exams within 80% or better which should be no problem.

It's time for me to renew my medical which also expired seven days ago. I am told that I should have not much of a problem to renew my medical even though I have a new diagnosis of Ulcerated Colitis. I was late in renewing my medical due to scheduling with my liver doctor who wanted to wait until after my colonoscopy to do my annual report to the FAA. I have not experienced any side effects from my new medication, and both of my physicians agree that I had to go through the dreaded colonoscopy once a year. Other than that my transplanted kidney and liver are both functioning quite well.

The only flying that I have done was four weeks ago as a passenger in the Skyhawk on a round robin flight to four different airports from Wadsworth, Ohio to as far as Lake Chautauqua, New York. Of course I ended up buying lunch for all four of us which I did not complain about because I wanted to get up in the air. Of course, it was bumpy and I don’t handle turbulence with an empty stomach.

So that is it in a nutshell. I did not buy any new equipment except for a $29 Timex chronograph which was needed because on my cross-country flights my previous watch was too difficult to manipulate between the stopwatch and the normal time.

Hopefully the repairs on my car would not be too expensive and will not delay me too much from getting back in the air. Also, a new pending job offer will help take care of all of my flying expenses. But then again, my last offer to go back to the mortgage business was a bomb and left me months of lost income. Maybe I can not judge job offers.